Monday, January 15, 2007

Tie a knot and hold on.

Lately it's been hard for me to put down the crochet needle. It's become a new addiction, crocheting. It keeps my fingers busy while my mind works on sorting through things. For some reason, though, I've failed at trying to make a scarf that doesn't resemble an indecisive politician. Sometimes, the edges go one way, sometimes they go the other; it's tough. I think I've started over on this project about 8 times. Oh well, like I said, it keeps me busy and it's a form of therapy. I don't mind too much. Anyhow, I noticed that some parts of the scarf looked pretty bad, while other parts looked more put together. Funny thing is, they're just a bunch of knots, and they're the same kind of knot, except some of the knots are more secure than the others...I know it seems I'm spending more time than necessary just observing the little twists and turns of the yarn, but I really want to do it right this time around. I'm determined.

But while closely taking note of every movement my crochet needle takes as it magically pulls the green yarn that will eventually become part of a scarf, I realize that crocheting a scarf is a lot like living life. We tie knots, one right after the other, some of us have cleaner looking knots, some of our knots barely hold, but, in the end, we all have a scarf that works, somehow. We're given a ball of yarn at the beginning of our lives, but it's really up to us to make something useful of it. Sure, we're gonna have moments where the loops start unlooping, but at least we're still moving our fingers along. It's ok. When the scarf is finished, if it still works, it doesn't really matter what it looks like close-up, with all the little mistakes that taught us something new. From far away, it's a scarf.

No comments: