Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Let them eat cake!

Last year for Jose's birthday, I made him a cake from a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com. It's called "Crazy Chocolate Cake"; I was surprised he loved it, considering I didn't have much time to work on it, it called for absolutely NO butter, milk, or even eggs...I thought it was a weird recipe, but was grateful that he liked it, no less. I wasn't too happy with it, so of course I tweaked the chocolate cake recipe; I was happier with it after a few alterations...then I discovered that the "base" of the recipe made for a great cake, you just have to change a few of the ingredients depending on the kind of cake you want to make. I made a chocolate chip cookie cake using the main components of the chocolate cake recipe, including my changes...it came out with an interesting taste, considering I added a lot of the ingredients that are usually added to the standard chocolate chip cookie recipe. Again, Jose likes it, and I actually like it too; adding those extra dairy products really does make a big difference in both the texture and taste of the cake. So here's the recipe...too bad the picture doesn't look as yummy as the cake really tastes, but that's why I'm not on the road to being a professional photographer, I just don't have the knack for it; I'll stick to cooking, baking, and writing, thank you very much!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
3 Cups Cake Flour
2 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Nonfat Milk
2 eggs + 1 egg white
2/3 Cup Canola Oil
1/3 Cup Crushed Walnuts
1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips

Topping:
1 Graham Cracker (crushed)

Basically, mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet ones in another, and then mix them together, including the crushed walnuts and chocolate chips. After baking in a 350 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes in 2 round baking pans, then letting it stand to cool-off for about 15 minutes, the cake should be ready to frost! I made a really cool frosting (it's actually on the cake) but I did not bother measuring the ingredients. All I know is that I used about 1/4 of the amount of butter than was called for...guess what I used in its place???? Plain flavored organic rice milk! It was pretty unbelievable how much healthier it came out (since most frostings call for a ton of shortening and/or butter) but we literally couldn't taste the difference! I will forever use plain rice milk in place of an entire stick of butter whenever I make frosting! Oh, almost forgot, sprinkle the crushed graham cracker on top of the frosted cake, then place a few chocolate chips on top; it'll really look like a chocolate chip cookie cake if you do !

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Yum! That looks so good! I think Joe and I will make it this weekend if it isn't too hot.