Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I couldn't help myself, I'm learnin' so much

Catholic Quiz: What Kind of Catholic Are You?





You scored 59, on a scale of 0 to 100.
Here's how to interpret your score:

0 - 25
You are a Centering Prayer
(very progressive) Catholic.

26 - 50
You are an Ignatian Exercises
(moderately progressive) Catholic.

51 - 75
You are a Divine Office
(moderately traditional) Catholic.

76 - 100
You are a Daily Rosary
(very traditional) Catholic.

Well, I couldn't help myself...one of my new jobs, as one of a few editors working for one of UTs professors, requires me to do a lot of research regarding religion; particularly the monotheistic ones, and I've been learning so much lately that I've become curious about my own claimed religion. I was raised Catholic, but my mother eventually swayed the Protestant way, and though I agree with some protestant beliefs, I've come to realize that I'm a little too progressive. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a traditionalist Catholic. In fact, I've never even prayed the rosary, nor do I feel that it's a necessary act. I think I know where Bono stands, and I pretty much agree with his beliefs. haha, sorry, that guy...he is my male version of Mother Teresa.

Anyway, thanks to a class I took on the reformation my last year of college, I learned a little about the good stuff that went down during the Second Vatican meetings, and how there were a few conservative Catholics who had their feathers ruffled because some of the newly introduced ideas seemed to stray too far from the familiar. I think it needed to happen, though, for many reasons. I can only name a few off the top of my head, and I don't want to go into too much detail (considering I had to do it for 4 hours straight earlier today--I'm working on a paper with the professor, he's lecturing at an interreligious dialogue conference, which should definitely be interesting). I've actually been a bit surprised by some of the stuff I've learned, like how one of the Vat II documents literally states that Muslims (okay, I'm getting out my notes, I want to make sure I quote this properly)......ok, what does it say Sophie? Umm...here it is. "...at the Second Vatican Council, the Catholic Church proclaimed its respect and esteem for Muslims and asserted that Islam was a genuine path of salvation." Wow, what a claim to make! Especially after declaring for so long that the Catholic Church was the one true church! That quote was taken from "Turkish Experience of Muslim Christian Dialogue: Past and Present" in case you want to read more about it; it's actually a really, really well-written, far from boring paper that does a good job of summing up the efforts made by some Christian, Jewish, and Muslim leaders who are trying to peacefully "find common ground," if you want to call it that.

I think I know why the quiz resulted in giving me a "moderately traditional" title, I am pretty conservative when it comes to abortion. Yeah, I pretty much hate it, to say the least. But I'm not at all for damning the people who've had them; actually, I'm not holy enough to point the finger, it's not like my name is God. Now that I remember, it would really bother me when the extremists would come around campus; I hated their dumb billboards. I couldn't even look at them they were so horribly gruesome, I can't even imagine how they would make someone feel who actually had an abortion. That is the wrong way to go about getting a message across, it even makes me cringe at the thought of calling them pro-lifers, it's more like pro-condemners! I personally feel abortion is detrimental to the person who receives it, and the "fetus" that dies, but I think those billboards are right up there too! I wish they'd invest their money in something more productive, like raising money for the expecting women who would make it a full-term pregnancy if their only reason for not taking that route was a monetary one...or educating girls on how to avoid getting themselves into that kind of a situation. I don't know why people just leave it up to the state. Sure, health is great, but kids do skip class...and while they're skipping they're probably doing the very thing they wouldn't be doing if some 'informative knowledge' was planted in their brain ahead of time. I know, I know it's not that simple...just here me out. Just so you understand, at 14, I was already helping my mom raise money for our city's crisis pregnancy center, so you know how passionate I am about this issue...that's why I went off on a tangent! They got me at a young age :)!

Anyway, religion! I think that's another issue we shouldn't be ignorant about, if just for the sake of our fellow man, most of the world follows one faith or another. How do you know what to believe or not believe if you don't know what there is to believe or not believe???? Hmmm...

No comments: