Tuesday, April 10, 2007

All over the place!

When I think about all the things I want to do with this little life of mine, I can't help but realize that life, in general, isn't very long at all. I'm one of those people with way too many interests and the list, basically, keeps getting longer. There are a few things I know I need to do. I strongly believe that if anyone is alive and healthy, they shouldn't lead lives completely centered on just their own personal interests. We're alive to define love with action; some people do it indirectly, by donating money to a cause they support; some use their brains, they become doctors or engineers that develop prosthetic parts for those in need--the list goes on. Others take a more hands-on approach, they join organizations like the Peace Corps and Teach for America, or they might even work at a local food bank and tutor kids during their free-time. So, the only thing I'm really certain of, as far as my future is concerned, is that I will do my part as an active member of the human race, most likely as a teacher, but what about the other details? Like, how will I do it, and what will I do afterward?

Well, life is pretty chaotic right now. I'm still waiting for the gooey gallbladder removal, which I am anxiously awaiting! After that's over, and I'm no longer writhing in pain from the surgery, I'll probably do the office job thing for awhile. Just for AWHILE! I hate working in an office setting; it's not me! I don't particularly enjoy doing frivolous desk work, I'm more of a hands-on kind of gal. Whether I'm making food, taking pictures, painting, writing, crocheting, or making personalized cards, I always have to be doing something that involves creativity. The office job thing is only temporary, at least until Jose and I get settled down in whatever city he'll be attending law school. For now, he's shooting for schools along the East and West Coasts, and I am definitely excited. The cost of living in Texas is cheap, no argument there, but I miss the ocean and getting to see each season's beauty! I can't get certified to teach now because I'm probably not going to be in Texas for that much longer, unless Jose decides to stay at UT. We'll see, I won't really mind; I actually love Austin, even when I'm dying of heat stroke. The thought of grad school is definitely on the brain, and if I go, I'll most likely study Child Development or Developmental Psychology. I really enjoyed the child development courses I took in order to earn my minor in Education, and working with children is both meaningful and rewarding.

But, of course, there's the unwritten to-do list that I can't seem to get rid of! What else is on the ever-growing list? Well, among many other things, "attend culinary art school" is one of the recent additions. I guess I shouldn't say recent, considering I first entertained the idea around age 11, when I visited one of San Francisco's cooking academies. It was a memorable experience, and I have to admit that ever since then I've preferred strawberries wearing chocolate tuxedos over the plain ones. I think it's also in my blood, my grandparents used to have their own restaurant. But, honestly, living in Austin these past couple of years has made the idea of going to culinary art school even more real to me. There are so many quaint-cozy-cute little restaurants and stores that I've visited, and I thought it would be a lot of fun to open up a place that was a mix between the two, but not just any run-of-the-mill restaurant/store combo. Austin is known for it's quirkiness, so it would definitely have to stand-out, and because I'm a big fan of originality, I certainly wouldn't want to open up a place that's boring. I have a few ideas up my sleeve, but I don't want to mention too many of the details ! Jose has thought of possibly settling down in the Austin area after graduating from law school, so this plan of mine might actually turn out to be a pretty good one...

For now I'll try to stick with that old familiar cliche: Take it one day at a time! But then I realize the possibilities and get a little ahead of myself. Life really is exciting, isn't it? I just wish it was a little easier sometimes, but don't we all!

No comments: