Saturday, April 28, 2007

I used to think growing up didn't come fast enough...

It's such a beautiful day! Perfect weather, maybe a little toastier than I'd like, but I really can't complain. Days like this make me feel like taking a trip to the beach...then I remember I'm miles and miles away from one!

When I was a kiddo, picnicking at the beach with my cousins was one way I'd spend a summer day. The last time we went was about two years ago, when I was visiting California, but it wasn't exactly the same. My cousins were older, so they brought their boyfriends; the beach was also more crowded, and the sand just wasn't as soft. Now that I'm older, I tend to notice the negative along with the positive, and sometimes I find myself focusing more on the former than I should; it even holds me back. Instead of running out into the ocean with a carefree attitude, I hesitate because I think about how icy cold the water will be. Instead of holding out a piece of my sandwich for a seagull, I shoo it away.

You know, I'm sure the sand is probably the same texture as before, and the beach is probably as crowded as it was 15 years ago. It wouldn't even surprise me if the same seagull from my childhood days decided to pay me a visit just for kicks, every time I stopped by Hermosa or Huntington Beach. Now I find myself in Austin, TX, relaxing after a very sunny day full of shopping, and reflecting on how much I miss the beach...and, of course, my childhood.

I look forward to the day when I have my own kiddos and can take them to the beach. I know I'll be telling them to watch their food while they're busy entertaining the pestering seagulls, though I'm sure they won't see them that way. I also look forward to being able to use them as an excuse for going down the slides at a park, or even swinging too high on the swings. I really miss stuff like that.

There's also something oddly exhilirating about childhood diversions like being chased while playing tag or hide-and-go-seek; I still play whenever I get the chance. (I made poor Jose play hide-and-go-seek with me last year in his apartment!) I strongly believe recess should exist in real life; there should definitely be a playtime for everyone. With the implementation of a mandatory playtime, I'm sure there'd be a significant drop in the amount of stress-related illnesses and diseases that ail us, especially as we take on more responsibilities with age.

No comments: