Monday, April 9, 2007

Dearest Ciccone, Goldfrapp, and Stefani, thank you for your eccentricities that never cease to entertain.

Yep, they're my three favorite non-blondes: Madonna Ciccone, Alison Goldfrapp, and Gwen Stefani. It doesn't matter how many times they bleach their hair, I'll love 'em even when it all falls out. Because, well, there's something these three gals have that I've decided they'll never be able to lose: their eccentricities.

Always wanting to stir-up some sort of media hype with her controversial ways, Madonna has been at the top of my list since the first time I danced with a made-over Barbie in hand, the one whose hair I so eagerly chopped off. I'd say that was around age 3, right after reflecting on the fact that Barbie definitely needed a haircut because she looked a little too commercialized for my taste. I guess you'd expect a precociously interesting 3 year old like that to make Madonna one of their icons. It didn't help that my mom was obsessed with her for the longest time...long before Billy Joel came out with that song, I'm sure... You know, way back when Madonna was still a dancer on the verge of releasing the first couple of hits, one of which dubbed her the Material Girl.

It didn't take long for Ciccone to "simma down" shortly after becoming Mrs. Ritchie. But it did take Stefani a little longer to become a solo recording artist. No complaints here, though. Props to Stefani for taking her time by studying art in college, then following through with her decision to be the lead singer of her brother's little OC band that, without a doubt, made it big, as their name would definitely suggest if their ability to succeed was ever questioned. Yep, No Doubt, you chose the right name. You also left the door wide open for Stefani to meet her fabulous now-hubby at a concert. Thanks to you, it doesn't matter if they get their towels mixed-up; same monogram, same difference. Now Stefani can even design her own towels, she's practically a renaissance woman. Her creativity is unparalleled. What can't that gal do? Oh, I know, she can't lose her eccentric ways. She can make a hit with Moby, She can sing like the nun on the Sound of Music, she's even played the rapping mom card...Critics can complain about how eccentric she's become, but is it really too much? As far as I'm concerned, she's not boring. Even though Stefani's been around for awhile, this Orange County girl isn't getting old. Some say she's reinvented herself, I disagree; this is just another side, she's multifaceted unlike so many other recording artists.

And if you want to hear my thoughts on Goldfrapp, check out my music blog!

No comments: