Saturday, May 12, 2007

Fun around Austin: Thrift shopping.

I like old things. I am not a fan of the new car or new house smell. This is exactly why I enjoy shopping at second-hand stores. My mom introduced me to the idea when I was a lot younger; she doesn't like new things either. When we lived in our newly built home in San Angelo years ago, my mom still insisted on decorating our place with little this-thats collected from various thrift stores located on the outskirts of town. One day, I almost bought a vintage wedding dress from the 19th century in one of the stores we visited, it was so cheap considering the year it was made! Later in high school I started collecting vintage purses. They were all so fairly priced when I got my hands on them; here in Austin, you can't easily find cute bargain purses like that, let me tell you.

Jose and I have recently taken up thrift shopping together, it's been fun, but sometimes disappointing. Thrift shopping has definitely become more of a trend, especially in artsy cities like Austin, and I think the Goodwill has picked up on it. Gone are the days when the Goodwill uses leftover grocery bags from who-knows-where to pack-up their customers precious items. Now they have a logo on them! How long have they had those neon green and blue letters on their factory ordered bags? Have I really been out of the Goodwill circle for that long? Part of the reason why I used to love going to the unheard of, unpopular thrift stores is because they're set up like a treasure hunt: everything is randomly scattered around and, with a keen eye for one-of-a-kind objects, you're forced to search for what you really want. Initially you may not know what you "really" want, but you'll know once you see it; it'll probably be something like another faded and fun, but very nostalgic-to-someone wood carving, plate, or salt and pepper shaker set. I've definitely found my share of old oddities, but lately I haven't had much luck. Why? Because everything has already been dusted off for me, not to mention perfectly stacked on the shelf as if it were a brand spankin' new department store item lacking character and a personal history.

There is a solution to the problem, at least for those who are sincerely interested in one, it's called, the estate/garage sale! Sometimes they can be a bit frustrating, since you have to plan ahead and set a date when you can hit the sales early in the morning to avoid the crowds and acquire the goods, but the sales are worth it. If you're willing to look, which you probably are if you are an avid thrifter, you'll be rewarded for your patience. The first estate sale Jose and I visited was put on by the family of an older couple who had passed away. Yes, the thought of visiting an estate sale is quite sad, but just think how happy the former owners would be to discover that someone is picking up where they left off, taking part in the history making process of an original piece of art they valued while here on Earth. And, yes, I do view old items as art, at least most of them. I understand that some lose their sparkle with time, but it's the thrift shopper's/antique collecter's responsibility to prevent this from happening.

No comments: