Monday, May 28, 2007

The good guy does win, but maybe not in today's romantic comedy.

I am a sucker for the sappy stuff. But when it comes to movies, that isn't always the case. Sure, I'm the typical Pride and Prejudice obsessed girl, and I can happily admit to watching the A&E version 5 times, but, these days, I'm not at all satisfied with how Hollywood portrays relationships, or even love, on the big screen. I guess it's my fault; most of the time I expect something grand to happen, the good guy wins in a not so suave and cheesy way (so that it's actually believable), and the girl isn't a completely lustful airhead with nothing to back up her looks and unusually cute clothes.

The 90s weren't so bad, though...then again, maybe I was just too young to notice? But I really didn't mind the silly romances that went on in movies like A Walk in the Clouds and My Best Friend's Wedding, because at least there was some kind of relationship that developed along with the plot, rather than just an immature adolescent-type fling. Nowadays, it seems like it's just about how fast you can take your clothes off with someone who only looks "good" (that is, until they open their mouth), has absolutely no respect for anyone, and doesn't seem to have a brain, much less an understanding of real love. Maybe that's a representation of what most relationships are really like in our emotionally dead time, at least the kind that revolve around pure selfish gain? It's a disturbing thought, and I don't want to believe it's true, but a part of me thinks it might be...

How did that saying ever get started? You know, the one that says something about how the good guy never wins? I don't think it's entirely true, but maybe it is when you're sitting in a theater watching the latest "chick flick". I guess if what I mentioned earlier was true (about how movie producers get their ideas from the typical modern day relationship) then maybe the good guy doesn't win? Not always...unless, I think, he's patient and truly a good guy, I mean, more than just nice and smart...something more along the lines of wise and emotionally intelligent. But I've seen this scenario way too many times: "Good" guy falls in love with a really attractive but not so good girl, and wonders why he's so sad when she not only turns him down, but laughs in his face while she does it. I put "good" in quotes because I don't think a genuinely good guy would fall for that kind of girl, he's obviously dumb for valuing her appearance over her character. In fact, he's probably objectifying her because he's only focusing on what gravity and time eventually wrinkle. Sure, I know a lot of seemingly nice guys that are guilty of this, but I doubt any girl with a brain would give them the time of day. Also, if any guy is willing to "fall" for a girl just because of her looks, then he obviously doesn't have what it takes to be in a lasting, meaningful relationship that's so paradoxically perfect with all its minor human imperfections, it couldn't even be kept in the pages of a great Jane Austen novel.

I know it's hard to find a romantic comedy worth watching, and I certainly know it's even harder to find a nice guy worth dating, or girl for that matter! (We don't live in a world where girls are dandy and made out of candy!) It's easy to say that all guys suck when you're a girl, and vice versa, but it's so not true! Really, it just takes time and patience. It's so easy to find someone who's easy, but it's so much more worth it to wait for someone who, long after the rings are exchanged, still makes you realize you'd wait for them all over again if you had to.

No comments: