Monday, May 21, 2007

Minds that complement each other

As I write this, Jose is studying for the LSAT...like crazy. I think he spent about 7 hours at his desk just yesterday, and now he's at it again. Sometimes I don't see how he does it; how the heck does he maintain a 4.0 while earning a double major in both Economics and Philosophy, then donate a kidney...and then expect himself to score no less than 171 on the LSAT?! That's certainly not like me. But, somehow, we suite each other quite well. I'm happy graduating college with just honors in my major, I'm far from "mathy", and I hate economics. In moments like these, when the pressure is on, and Jose's strutting his all too familiar Einstein hairdo (it's basically the look he gets when he's been studying too long; his hair stands on end and I can't help but laugh and think of Einstein whenever I see him that way) I try to convince him that we're still gonna be well-off in life as a team, even if he doesn't get into all the Ivy League schools he plans on applying to.

I'd die in law school. Funny thing is, I actually thought about going once. I figured, if I could persuade people on paper, maybe I could do it in real life. Then I realized there was much more to it! It's like it didn't occur to me how silly I'd feel working in the kind of environment that career calls for; it's so not me! In fact, lately I've even been moving further and further away from the idea of attending grad school. I'm sure I could do that, but I don't know that I'd necessarily enjoy it. I want a career that's rewarding and enjoyable, I don't think that's too much to ask for. So while in college, even though I often considered that the English stereotype might be somewhat true (basically the belief that we'll all end up selling our often jobless and desperate souls to some fast food chain not long after graduating) I decided that English was the major for me. I learned quite a bit as a result of taking so many English courses; to tell you the truth, it's amazing how much more I appreciate every book I read now than before I started down the literary path of over-anlyzation.

I love creating things from words, reading them, dissecting them...but, as far as grad school goes, I want to do something else. English was/is fun, but the future holds something different for moi. I still want to create things, but there are so many different mediums that can be used to make those "things", whatever I decide they'll be. I have a very strong feeling those "things" will be foods. I mentioned it before, but I really feel like culinary art school is the place for me; it's time to create poetry with food instead of words. I guess I've failed to live up to the English major stereotype, but, hey, I'll still be working with food!

For now, the kitchen is my experimentation zone, and whatever comes out of it, Jose eats with a smile on his face. Bless his heart; maybe his senses are completely desensitized from studying so much? Or maybe...just maybe...I do have an innate knack for cooking?! Who knows, but whatever the case, I think God definitely knew that Jose and I would be two ingredients that would complement each other like salt and pepper, however different we might be.


Our future is still kind of unclear, we don't know what side of the US we'll end up on, but it's fun not knowing, even so. A little uncertainty belongs to everyone, but when you're blessed with a relationship that's sure to last, the ambiguity isn't so frightening.

No comments: